Friday 18 May 2012

Falkirk keeper Michael McGovern extends stay

Waking up to the news that goalkeeper Michael McGovern had signed a new one year deal with the club would have been exactly what Falkirk fans would have wanted to hear.

Many of them feared, given the performances he has produced for the Bairns this season. admiring glances from interested bidders in the SPL would be enough to entice the shot stopper away from the Falkirk Stadium.

But the supporters can relax knowing they will be able to rely on his services for another year.

The fans anxiety for boss Steven Pressley to tie up the player's contract for another season was quite understandable as his contribution to the team's success could not be underestimated.

Not only did he manage 14 shut outs in 45 games, but his reliable nature and assured performances inspired confidence in the rest of the young and inexperienced side.

It is clear to see that McGovern is enjoying his football, and well he should. A call up to the Northern Ireland national set-up, finishing third in the league, a cup winners medal and a League Cup semi-final is a great return especially since he played for a side, who to begin with, were seen as one of the candidates to go down.

 And as a result of the success, the Falkirk keeper has attracted interest from a number of bigger clubs but he insists it was never his intention to decamp from the Falkirk Stadium.

“I said at the start I wouldn't leave Falkirk for any other club just because they were in a higher league, it needed to be the right move,” he said.

“I'm playing regularly, I love working for the manager, I love the set-up, I love the club and the fans have been really good to me.”

McGovern revealed after signing the contract: “I'm absolutely delighted, it was great to get the deal done quickly, I enjoyed my first season and now I'm looking forward to the start of the second.

"The manager has been different class with regards to myself and the way he has treated me. He was patient with the contract negotiations and most importantly he's a manager who has belief in my ability.”

In what is only McGovern's third full season as a first team goalkeeper, having made over 70 appearances with Ross County before arriving at Falkirk last summer, the 27 year old has had 46 cleansheets in this time.

Though for Falkirk, arguably none more satisfying than when, in the Ramsdens Cup final, he pulled off a tremendous save to deny Hamilton and ensure the cup would be heading back to the Falkirk Stadium.

The Bairns' No 1 admits the year has far exceeded his expectations.

“I couldn't have envisaged this season going any better,” he said.

“I came in just wanting to play regularly and I was pleased with my form but as a team its gone well beyond anyone's expectations.

McGovern pulls off another fantastic save
“At the start we didn't really know what we were going to get with the young players but they stepped up to the plate.

"We challenged well in the league, we had a wonderful League Cup run - put in a great performance against Celtic and won the Ramsdens cup, there's so many positives to take.

“It's been my most enjoyable season.”

 McGovern believes there is plenty of promising individuals currently at the Falkirk Stadium though he concedes he would be surprised if PFA First Division Player of the Year winner Farid El Alagui remains at the club for much longer.

“There's at least two or three of the younger boys who could play at the highest level, they certainly have the potential I know its easy to talk up young players and there's a tendency to do that but these players have good heads on their shoulders and they can go far.

 “I'd be shocked if Farid stayed, everyone is looking for a goalscorer, he's 26 and coming into his peak years, he has to do what's best to benefit the rest of his career.”

 McGovern, who was called up for his country in February, admits that while he remains in the Scottish First Division he might restrict his chances of playing for Northern Ireland. Michael O'Neill's men have a friendly against the Netherlands at the start of next month but the former Staggies man is adamant that is not a concern for him just now.

 “The fact that I play in the Scottish First Division, might hinder my chances of playing for Northern Ireland but that didn't really come into my thinking,”he added.

“Anything that happens with the national team is a bonus I'm just concentrating on working hard and developing at Falkirk, there's no hurry to step up a level.”

With rivals Dunfermline being relegated from the SPL and former Falkirk manager Jim Jefferies in charge of the Pars, there is an added incentive to the occasion next season and McGovern is relishing the challenge.

He added: “I've been told there was a big crowd and a great atmosphere the last time the two sides met in the League Cup and that's the sort of games you want to play in, I'm really looking forward to it.

“We're looking to build on what we've achieved this season, we drew a lot of plaudits for our performances and in a sense the air of surprise is gone now so we'll need to work a lot harder.”




No comments:

Post a Comment